Thursday, April 16, 2015

#Book #Review *The Closer We Get* ( #BookReview )

Disclaimer - This book was provided to me free of charge from Net Galley in return for an honest review. All review opinions are my own and were in no way influenced by being provided with the book at no charge.

Book Description

 April 7, 2015
Erin Winters has struggled ever since the accident that took her husband’s life and left her young son seriously injured. Desperate to get her son the surgery he needs, she agrees to become a surrogate mother. But when the wife dies unexpectedly, Erin is suddenly faced with the demands of the grieving husband and carrying a child she has come to think of as her own.

Blake Tanner had it all—marriage to a woman he adored, a successful career as a lawyer, and a child on the way. Now, tormented by his loss and overwhelmed by the prospect of single fatherhood, Blake comes up with a solution that might be his final undoing.

In the hopes that he can give his child the life he deserves, he asks Erin and her son to live with him. In exchange, he will provide them both with all the advantages a wealthy Texan has to offer. It’s a simple financial arrangement that makes perfect sense to Blake, until the grief that marks his days is slowly replaced by the glimmer of hope, and desire, the beautiful woman stirs in him.

As Erin and Blake surrender to the powerful sensual force that neither can ignore, the two must help each other overcome their anguish and dare to build a new life, and love, together.

This is a fully revised edition of a book previously published as Heaven Above and Another Love.

About the Author:

Ann Jacobs is the author of more than one hundred romance novels, novellas, and short stories, including the Oil Barons series, the d’Argent Honor Vampire series, and the Gridiron Lovers series, among others. She lives in Tampa with her own personal hero—her youngest son—a sometimes neglected orchid collection, and three very spoiled and much-loved cats. She loves hearing from readers and tries to meet as many fans as possible at one or more conferences each year. You can read more about Ann at annjacobs.net. 

My Review:
As a reader, one thing I always look for is being able to be drawn into a story. I don't care if you make me fall in love with a character or make me absolutely hate them. Thing is - I want to feel something. In reading, indifference is a bad thing.

That being said, this book delivered in creating an emotional attachment to the characters. For many, the topic is a touchy one anyway and I can't say I've read a book yet (not saying they aren't out there) that used a surrogate mother "case." As a mom, it's extremely touchy for me. I have great respect for those that allow another person to have a child when they couldn't do so on their own. For me, I'm not sure I'd ever have the strength to hand over a child I'd carried for 9 months.

However, that's exactly what Erin does in order to make some much needed money for her own son. Things take a bit of a turn though, as the couple adopting the baby she is carrying have some problems of their own - the wife dies. What a struggle from the gate. You have a child on the way with a surrogate and your own wife passes. Legally, I'm not certain how that would even play out in an actual non-fiction scenario, but Blake seems to do what he feels is the best option - welcome the surrogate mom and her son into his home. After all, they'd no longer need money.

The emotional turns in this book really pulled me in. There are moments you want to cry and others you can't help but to smile. I have not read this book as it was previously released - but this is a must read when you need one of those truly heart breaking stories that turn out well.

My Rating:


0 comments:

Post a Comment